My New York Necessities: Ashley Clarkson
My New York Necessities: Ashley Clarkson, Front Desk Agent
Being #InResidence means being around a likeminded group of people who know the style and beat of the city intimately. So in celebration of last month’s New York Fashion Week, we’re sharing the six places or objects that a number of fashion-savvy WestHouse ambassadors can't live without. Next up, chic Front Desk Agent, Ashley Clarkson shares her essentials:
1. JEWELRY. One of the greatest thrills about living and working in New York is access to high-end shopping, and jewelry is one of my passions. A WestHouse regular recently asked me to accompany her to Cartier's new flagship boutique to help select a gift. I can honestly say that the brand’s latest high jewelry collection, titled Magicien, is nothing short of shimmering perfection, playing with the inspiration of magic in many different and colorful ways.
2. MY WATCH. The jewelry theme strikes again! Last year, Hermes celebrated the 25th anniversary of the iconic Cape Cod timepiece with a collection of new designs. I was first in line (!) and now the owner of a new piece with wrap-around alligator straps in electric blue, my favorite color. It’s the perfect way to track my pace in a very chic New York minute.
3. JAZZ. Jazz and blues have had a deep history in this city, and some of the best clubs have been here for decades. One of the new stars is only a few minutes from WestHouse: Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola at Lincoln Center. You will absolutely remember the line-up because some of the world’s best play there, but you will also remember the breathtaking view of the Manhattan skyline and Central Park through floor-to-ceiling windows. A New York gem!
4. YOUNG DESIGNER STARS. The list of emerging designers around New York is proof that the city is more integral to fashion design than ever before. The award-winning young Canadian designer Chris Gelinas already worked for high fashion labels like Balenciaga and Marc Jacobs, and now has a label here that is in my mind the most beautiful to be found.
5 FIVESTORY. In a city increasingly dominated by big brands it’s refreshing to find a smaller luxury shopping experience that outplays them all. Welcome to Fivestory on E. 69th Street. The designers you need to know about but presented in a more intimate setting. If Saks is the Met of shopping in New York, consider Fivestory more of a Frick Collection. They also stock one of my favorite Jewelry brands, Marlo Laz. A true New York find!
6. FASHION MAGAZINES. How do you keep up with fashion trends? For me, it’s through magazines. And unlike many other cities of the world, living in New York gives me access to basically every magazine from every other country! Looking for Vogue Turkey? Or how about InsideOut, Encens Annual, Numéro or Elle Australia? Fortunately, there are a host of international magazine stores scattered all around the city. My first stop would be Magazine Cafe serving 3500 magazines from around the world every week. A luxury indeed, but it’s a New York City staple that's just as important as the corner store!